Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Custom Outdoor Address Sign

My parents bought a house in the mountains a little while back.  The people that lived there before had a sign with their name and address on it (see below).  So we decided to make our own to replace it. Everyone in the neighborhood has given names to their homes. I grew up in Hawaii so my family has a strong connection and respect for the Hawaiian language so my dad decided to name their place Kohala. The HOA has restrictions as to the size of the signs, so it's not quite as big as I would have liked but it still turned out great!

BEFORE
 
AFTER


Using Adobe Illustrator, I designed the metal (black) portion of the sign.  We have some friends who have a laser metal cutter, so I sent him the artwork file and he cut the design out of a metal sheet.  My hubby then welded two large screws to the back.  We then took that to get powder coated black.  

My husband glued three boards together and I drew out where I wanted him to make the cuts.  He then cut the backboard, rounded the edges and cut two holes for the screws on the metal to go through.  He stained the wood with a clear stain to seal it.   

We used the two posted used for the old sign and painted them black to make the actual sign pop a little more. We gave this to my dad for Christmas last year.  He was pretty excited!








No comments:

Post a Comment